Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Database Solved, Perl Problems, Domain Resolution

For the last few day I have been focusing on getting the web framework up and running on my server - this post is a quick summary of where I stand, what I have encountered, and what I expect to come.

SAFE, the framework I am using, is still very much in a development stage. I have successfully installed SAFE without any problem on my test server, but deploying it to my public server is requiring paving the way for new configurations. Thus far, the database initiation scripts (which assume full-privileged MySQL access and creates new users) has been incompatible with my shared hosting solution, which provides three pre-made accounts, none of which has full access. I was, however, able to rewrite the database configuration scripts to work, and submitted them to the SAFE repository for consideration.

The next challenge is to address a "syntax" error in the compiler (written in Perl) that exists only on the deployed site, not my local site. I am talking with the other developers now, hopefully the solution will be simple.

I have been in contact with the owner of www.fract.us about purchasing his domain. He is willing to sell it, but his offer is $199 - far out of my price range. I am also contemplating www.fractalcanvas.com. Suggestions would also be appreciated! This decision is fairly critical since naming conventions and style might depend on it. I need to have purchased a domain by the end of this week.

Istvan.

EDIT: misspelling of Perl

No comments:

Post a Comment