Monday, March 18, 2013

Thoughts From a Project Past

As part of an assignment, I read the project materials of a former student. Reading the project was particularly interesting to me because I know the student and had a lot in common with him; we were both presidents of Code Red Robotics (I still am), took the Project Lead The Way tech classes, and both hope to become engineers (he did!)

The project I read was making a robotic arm that plays checkers against you. The student's journal showed several examples of the problem solving involved in his project, for example detecting stacked up pieces. The journal explained the problems in light detail, but explained the basic technical principles behind their solutions. Being familiar with these principles, and in fact having learned them from the same teacher on the same machines as he used, I particularly appreciated these posts.

The idea of having a blog be 'for your own benefit' has been advised to my class several times; but I will not be the only one who reads mine. The blog I read was littered with spelling errors, but was also hard to follow as a reader. I also would have benefited from benchmarks or some overall view of the project and occasional sign letting me know where he is.

From these conclusions I am starting two new habits in my own blog: milestone posts and posts that explain what I'm doing to a non-technical reader.

Istvan.

No comments:

Post a Comment