Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Elite Athletes Listen To Their Coaches

An article about Olympic athletes and their relationships with their coaches, this Huff Post piece outlines the importance of listening to advice and why, sometimes, we might not accept it so easily. Students were asked to consider this in terms of their relationships with their teachers.

An interesting trait shared by the best teachers I have ever had is they recognize what I do outside of class and have a reasonable idea of how their class fits in. A teacher who is fully involved in their subject may produce high test scores, but not necessarily well-rounded students.

A good coach, on the other hand, is hired to perfect one skill (gymnastics for example). To this extent, coaches and teachers are not similar.

Both do give advice and criticism, however. Being receptive to that feedback is important in both cases, and often difficult in both cases. Especially in my project where I wanted to incorporate user feedback into my site, the difference between criticism on how the site works vs. how they expect it to work is very different from criticism on my process. The former is easy to receive for me, the latter takes cogitation.

There isn't really a "moral" to this post, it's just some observations for consideration.
Istvan.

No comments:

Post a Comment