Sunday, April 14, 2013

Two Tramps in Mud Time

Robert Frost's Two Tramps in Mud Time tells the story of two men who come upon Frost splitting wood. I thought the most significant part of the whole poem was:

...I  had no right to play with what was another man's work for gain.
My right might be love but theirs was need.
And where the two exist in twain
Theirs was the better right  - agreed.

 I think it's interesting that in our culture one's enjoyment is second to another's livelihood. I don't know that it is good or bad.

Perhaps it is a naivety, but I think that people can make a living of their love. Ms. Gergely is always encouraging her students to love their projects, their school work. My greatest mentors have loved something enough that they made a living from it. In particular I think Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great example.

Istvan.

No comments:

Post a Comment